- Information You Provide
- When you sign up for a Hatena.com account, we ask you for Personal Information (such as your name, email address, and an account password). The information we collect is used to provide you with a better experience and to improve the quality of your experience on the Site. If a child under 13 wishes to set up a Hatena account, we will ask his or her parent to provide us with verifiable parental consent to the collection, use and processing of information from such child.
- Nintendo DSi Users
- For Users who access the Hatena services supporting the Nintendo DSi, Hatena automatically collects the Nintendo DSi machine ID (“MAC ID”) that is being used to access the Flipnote service, DSi Username, User date of birth as well as the User Flipnote Hatena friend list and MAC IDs of the Users’ Flipnote Hatena friend list members.
- Log Information
- When you access the Site, our servers automatically record information that your browser sends whenever you visit a website. These server logs may include information such as your web request, Internet Protocol address, browser type, browser language, the date and time of your request, and one or more cookies that may uniquely identify your browser. Log information is used to analyze the ways Users are utilizing the flipnote services, to identify confirmation, and to investigate suspected violation of the Rules.
- User Communications
- When you send email or other communications to Hatena, we may retain those communications in order to process your inquiries, respond to your requests, and improve the Flipnote services.
- User Generated Content
- Remember that when you upload a flipnote to the Site it may be viewed by people all over the world. You should take extra care not to include any personally identifiable information about yourself in a flipnote or any comments you make on the Site. Hatena is not responsible for voluntarily posted information, which may be collected and used by others.
Hatena only shares Personal Information with other companies or individuals outside of Hatena in the following limited circumstances:
- We have your consent. Except as described below, we will notify you before we share your Personal Information with a third party and give you the right to choose not to have your information shared.
- As part of any merger, sale, transfer of company assets, or acquisition, if permitted by and done in accordance with applicable laws.
Your User Registration Personal Information can only be viewed by you after correctly entering your Username and Password. Except for children under 13 whose parents or guardians may view, access and update their information, other Users or a third party cannot view this information in order to protect your privacy.
SSL code is used to transmit data you submit to the Site in order to protect sensitive data during transmission.
Except for authorized personnel, Hatena employees are prohibited from accessing User Registration Personal Information. Hatena employees are bound by a confidentiality agreement, and must observe the Security Policy set by Hatena.
As a general rule, Hatena allows Users to view, edit, or remove their own User Registration Personal Information by going to My Hatena after login. You can also subscribe or unsubscribe from our News Letter.
To learn how to view, edit or remove your User Registration Personal Information, please visit the Update Registration section.
Where a User cancels their registration or requests removal of their Personal Information Hatena will undertake reasonable steps to meet such requests. However, some information might continue to exist on Hatena systems as part of Hatena’s routine document retention and preservation policies including policies designed to protect Hatena’s rights and interests.
When a User attempts to register for an account on the Site, we collect an email address, password, and date of birth. Hatena requires verifiable consent of parents or guardians before collecting Personal Information from children under the age of 13 via the Site and services.
For purposes of verifying parental consent, a parent or legal guardian must either:
- complete the Flipnote Hatena Parent/Guardian Permission Form provided by Hatena and send it to Hatena via postal mail, fax or scanned and emailed as an image file; or
- use any other COPPA compliant consent processes made available by Hatena.
The Personal Information that Hatena collects from children under 13 years of age is used for the following purposes:
- 1) Service-related email communications.
- 2) Optimizing and personalizing content.
- 3) Research and development to improve and develop new services.
- 4) Authenticating and registering Users.
Personal Information provided to Hatena by children can be accessed by the parents or legal guardians of the child User by accessing the “Parental Control” page at http://www.hatena.com/parentalcontrol and using their “Parental Control Code” to view, modify or delete their child’s account information. The “Parental Control Code” is sent by email to the parent or legal guardian at the time of the registration of their child’s account. If you are the parent or legal guardian of a child User of Hatena and have lost your “Parental Control Code” you can have it reissued by contacting Hatena Customer Support via email at
Hatena Co., Ltd., Oike Bldg. 9fl., Takamiya-cho 206, Nakagyo-ku, Kyoto, 604-0835 Japan